Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Delma MA-3's are here and uh

The Delma MA-3 Penetrator is the closest that any modern arrowhead I've ever seen comes to replicating the shape of Classical ones, while being much cheaper (if shipping in North America) than a bronze replica.  Unfortunately, it's also big (not to mention wicked sharp) - something I didn't appreciate until examining them in person.  In fact, being nearly the same shape and just over half again longer than the period-correct equivalent from Manning Imperial seems (to my eyes) to give it several times the surface area.  I won't bother doing the math on whether that's technically true, but it's a moot point.

I had planned on trimming down the backs of the blades with a pair of tin snips, but the folded sheet-metal construction is a lot sturdier than it looks.  If you're stronger than I am, you might manage it, but I imagine doing so would warp the blades, not to mention put the socket at risk of splitting into three parts.  And frankly, taking power tools to them sounds like more trouble than they're worth.

I won't write these off just yet, but I will do so if something better comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment